Sunday, September 11, 2011

Oviedo Night and Morning

After my siesta, and blog catch up, Angel and I headed out for a walk around the old town and dinner. Pampered dog that she is she expects moist “real” dog food in addition to kibble. She likes the little foil boxes with chicken, beef, lamb, or even recently duck. All the grocery stores over here carry them. Unfortunately as it was a holiday all the stores were closed so I figured I’d just take her to dinner with me and she could share my dinner.

We ate in one of the little sidewalk cafes that feature the “sidre” but I passed on having any more of it. I did watch the technique of the local sidre drinkers though. The waiter pours about a quarter of a glass from on high and then the drinker downs the whole thing without taking a breath. Whatever is left in the glass after this long drink is dumped onto the sidewalk. Interesting but not very attractive or hygeinic.

Angel and I shared entrecote which was cooked at the table. She loved it and I expect I’ve made her a spoiled dog now.




The Cathedral.

















There are many bronze statutes depicting town life around the center of the old town.







Inside the market - a very colorful fruit and vegie stall.











This is the market building from the outside.

































The Virgin's chapel.















Example of Oviedo architecture. This is a large plaza.
















Here is a plaque telling out the Camino de Santiago.
















This is the symbol of the Camino de Santiago. I remember at an Abbey in France along the route they said that during the time period of the Abbey when pilgrims died along the route they were buried with a scallop shell image on their grave.













Here are a couple of walkers I saw in Ovieto.








One of things noticeable on the drive to Oviedo and returning to Santander today is that much of the drive is on the Camino De Santiago and we saw lots of walkers. This is a pilgrimage route that starts in France (actually near to where I “live”) and goes all the way to Santiago de Compostela in Galicia. I know that it used to have religious significance but I don’t know exactly what it is. These days it is probably mostly just a very long hike just to say you “did it”. The symbol of the pilgrimage is the scallop shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment